Partners

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Quick Study "Taking Up Your Cross"

I have heard many different people teach on the whole concept of taking up our cross and following Jesus. I was reading about this topic last night when something so powerful opened my eyes. I've often heard it taught that if we have a difficulty in our lives (such as a disease or poverty), that this is our cross to bare. We are to pick up this cross and follow Jesus. Well I have some exciting news!!!! Jesus died on the cross to release us from having to bare the cross for Him. When I hear this taught, it sounds to me like the cross we are to carry is a burden. A burden is something that keeps us down. A burden causes us to be in doubt, fear, and worry. In 1 Peter 5:7 we are told to cast all of our cares and worries upon Him. Psalm 55:22 says, "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you: He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." I believe when we are told to pick up our cross and follow Him, we understand what He did for us on the cross. We understand that we need to leave all the world has to offer and step into the spiritual. The cross was never meant to be burdensome, it was meant to be a sign of our deliverance.

Scripture Reading Matthew 10:38, 1 Peter 5:7, Psalm 55:22

No comments: