Partners

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Nature Of The Demon. . .

As I was studying last night, I decided that I should look at the nature of demons before I went any further. I came up with five characteristics of a demon. I will give you these characteristics and where they are found in the word. You can look these scriptures up and see for yourself how the word of God describes these evil spirits.


1. Demons are evil - Luke 10:17-18 - As with all that is evil, demons are subject to the name of Jesus Christ. Demons want nothing to do with anything good. That is why when you use the name of Jesus against them, they will flee.


2. Demons are powerful - Luke 8:29 - They will stop at nothing (except at the name of Jesus). When they attack, they come in full force. Unless you are prepared for them, you will have no chance against them.


3. Demons are unclean - Matthew 10:1 - Since demons are evil, they are considered unclean spirits. I look at it this way, the Holy Spirit is a clean spirit whereas demonic spirits are unclean spirits.


4. Demons are under satan's control - Matthew 12:24-30 - They can't be driven out by satan. They can only be driven out by the name of Jesus. What I found interesting in this passage is that satan will not send out his demons so that he can cast them out. When he sends out his demons, he sends them with a purpose to kill, steal, and destroy. The devil will not become divided against himself. It is the same with the Father. He will not make you sick or give you disease just so he can heal you. That too would be a house divided. The devil is into making you sick whereas the Lord is into healing the sick.


5. Demons are numerous - Mark 5:8-9 - I believe that many demons can attack at one time. While studying this topic I began to think about people who have "multiple personalities." We have been created to have one personality, not many personalities. When I see someone who is struggling with multiple personalities, I see someone who is home to more than one demon. Its like there is one demon behind every personality.


I hope this has shed some light on the characteristics and the nature of demons. I encourage you to check out the above scriptures during your time of study to help paint a picture of the lengths satan will go to destroy you and I. Over the next few days I want to move into the abilities of demons. Until then, stand in the name of Jesus. Let no demon take authority in your life!!!

No comments: